10 Best Massage Oils (With Reviews & Buying Guide)
Massages could be sensual (leave every nerve ending aching for more) or therapeutic (leave every nerve ending aching with bliss). Massages can be made better in a flurry of methods, from strokes ranging from deep to intense. So, start engaging in healthy massages with the aid of the best massage oils.
And if you are wondering which offers the maximum benefits, we have listed the best here. So, let’s get started.
10 Best Massage Oils For A Perfect Massage
Nothing is more relaxing than having a soothing body massage after a tiring day. A good massage not only improves blood flow but also relaxes the muscles and tissues. Moreover, it relives stress in minutes.
But to get the most from a massage, it is vital to pick the right massage oil. Though there lots of products out there, we have researched and listed the top-rated ones here.
1. Maple Holistics’ Sensual Massage Oil
Contains: Lavender oil, Jojoba oil, Sweet Almond oil
- 100% natural relaxing sensual massage oil for both men and women.
- Perfect absorbance rate of oil into the skin. The oil is not absorbed too fast leaving the skin dry or too slow leaving the skin sticky.
- Rich in aromatic compounds that promote your sexual experience.
- Silicon free, paraben-free and preservative-free. 100% pure therapeutic grade oil.
- Made in a state-of-the-art facility in the USA that exceeds GMP standards in quality and effectiveness.
- 100% money-back guarantee.
For the promise of a phenomenal night starting with seduction and ending in a passionate rapturous bliss, the Maple Holistics Sensual Massage Oil is a mix containing a nice blend of:
- Sweet almond oil for hydrating dry skin, boosting skin elasticity, minimizing stretch marks, scars and maintaining soft and youthful skin.
- Jojoba oil for its skin-soothing as well as anti-aging vitamins, minerals and fatty acids.
- Lavender essential oil for its relaxing and aphrodisiac properties that help to set the mood for a night full of promises.
This massage oil is a rich blend of carrier oils and essential oils. It melts away joint, muscle & emotional tension from the neck, back, and shoulders. The oil is a rich hypoallergenic, non-greasy, non-staining formula.
It is 100% blend of nature’s finest oils that are perfect for massages. The plastic container is recyclable and the testing process is animal cruelty-free.
- Spreads perfectly.
- A little quantity goes a long way to ensure the oil does not run out quickly.
- It is affordable.
- It has a strong smell.
- Non-staining and has a long-lasting effect.
- It is effective for both sensual and therapeutic massages.
- It does not come with a pump.
- It is greasy.
2. Brookethorne Naturals’ Massage Oil For Stiffness & Sore Muscles
- Sweet almond massage oil enriched with lavender, marjoram and peppermint essential oils.
- Muscle relief, stress relief and heightened relaxation.
- Perfect for professional and personal massages.
- Premium blend of all-natural ingredients.
- Paraben-free, phthalate-free all-natural massage oil.
This body massage oil is an all-natural oil equipped to relax your mind, ease stress, and aid in natural relaxation. This massage oil is a fine blend of oils known for expert massages:
- Lavender oil for stress relieving, tension and anxiety calming effects. This oil is also known to soothe sore muscles and ease joint stiffness.
- Marjoram oil for analgesic antispasmodic properties that relieve pain associated with overexertion of muscles and a natural remedy for spasms associated with muscle pulling or cramping.
- Peppermint oil, the perfect aid for relieving tight muscles and achy joints.
This massage oil suits various massages: deep tissue massage, hot stone massage, body massage, and sports massage.
It is an all-natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free hypoallergenic oil with the perfect consistency. This oil is made in the USA with a unique taste of animal cruelty-free. This product enhances the overall well-being, aids in relaxation, and calms the nerves.
- Instant pain relief.
- Hypoallergenic oil.
- Sweet-smelling massage oil with long-lasting effects.
- Perfect consistency for spreading.
- The oil comes with a pump-action head.
- Excellent customer service.
- It is quite effective for massages.
- Strong smell.
3. M3 Naturals’ Anti-cellulite Massage Oil
- Fast absorption rate that gets rid of fat buildup in the hip, thighs, abdomen and buttocks.
- Collagen and stem cell fusion for increased skin cell longevity.
- A combination of essential oils that firm, tone, and tighten areas of interest.
- High-quality pure premium ingredients.
- Made in the USA. 240 ml (8 Fl oz) bottle.
Cellulite is the bane of the existence of great skin and it is one that invokes possible tears of frustration and irritation, a feeling that those at M3 Naturals deeply understand and sympathise with. Introducing the M3 Naturals anti-cellulite massage oil rich in a premium selection of natural ingredients:
- Grapefruit oil for its large amount of anti-inflammatory enzyme bromelain known for reducing the appearance of cellulite.
- Grapeseed oil for its rich source of Vitamin E which serves as an antioxidant.
- Eucalyptus oil for properties that make it appear in numerous skincare products.
- Lemon oil for its skin complexion improvement and maintenance qualities and skin rejuvenation properties.
M3 Naturals anti-cellulite massage oil has a selection of properties that makes it a great choice for anti-aging performance:
- Skin cell regeneration: Using Malus domestica fruit cell culture extract, a preparation the stem cells of a rare Swiss apple variety. This culture is known for its richness in epigenetic factors and metabolites that ensures the longevity and regeneration of skin cells.
- Collagen: Hydrolyzed collagen rejuvenation for skin, skin tissue damage repair, increased collagen production, and skin protection from free radicals.
This mix is an exotic blend of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and fatty acid ingredients.
- Effective fat dissolution and cellulite eradication.
- Effective long-lasting moisturization.
- Sweet-smelling fragrance.
- Improves skin elasticity and softness.
- Pricey for an 8oz. bottle.
4. Handcraft Blends’ 100% Pure Coconut Oil
Contains: Only coconut oil
- 100% pure fractionated coconut oil commonly used for aromatherapy massage, hair and skin moisturizer.
- A unique combination of fatty acids that make it perfect for skin care.
- Great for head massage. Relaxes and promotes hair growth.
- Perfect choice for skin rejuvenation.
- FDA approved. It is alcohol, paraben, sulphate and animal cruelty-free.
Coconut oil is certainly one of the best massage oils. It helps in rejuvenating the skin and gives it a healthy glow. Fractionated coconut oil is odorless and has uses ranging from culinary to therapeutic and cosmetic.
In comparison to other carrier oils, this oil is just as effective and trumps them in that it is odorless, highly stable, colorless, deodorized, and non-staining. This brand of fractionated coconut oil is known for:
- Being a feather-light oil that is readily absorbed into the skin without clogging the pores.
- Its production process of the hydrolysis of coconut oil and then it’s fractionation using steam distillation.
- Being a great carrier oil for essential oils, for homemade hair and skin products.
- Nourishing the skin and improving its elasticity.
- Excellent for dry and flaky skin.
- Multiple caps and pump function.
- Great product for skin and hair.
- Premium quality coconut properties.
- Quick absorbing ability.
- No reported drawbacks.
5. Melt’s Sweet Almond Massage Oil
Contains: 100% Cold-pressed sweet almond oil
- Unscented, relaxing, therapeutic skincare.
- Stress and anxiety relief.
- Soft, non-greasy feel.
- Natural ingredients.
- Crafted for purity and unmatched refinement.
Melt’s sweet almond massage oil is great for couples. It is an unscented, soothing, rejuvenating massage oil with a formula designed to penetrate sore muscles and tired joints with smooth precision.
It makes your massage experience even more enjoyable and fun. The oil is of premium quality and addresses the needs of both men and women. It absorbs quickly without leaving your skin greasy or sticky.
The sweet almond oil is competent in carrying out a revitalizing body massage. This oil blend is paraben and animal cruelty-free. It also greatly complements different skin types.100% cold-pressed almond oil is the style for efficiency in this product.
The package comes with a couples massage tutorial video and an empty smaller travel-free bottle to facilitate easy mobility of the oil and unrestricted access on the move.
- Perfect consistency for easy hand glide action.
- Big 16oz (473ml) bottle.
- Non-sticky, non-greasy, non-staining oil.
- Unscented massage oil.
- Good absorbance rate.
- Comes with a pump
- No known drawbacks
6. Maple Holistics’ Nourishing Massage Oil
Contains: Jojoba oil, Vitamin E, Sweet Almond oil, Coconut oil
- Natural stress reliever and enhances the overall sensual experience.
- Vitamin E rich moisturizer for dry skin.
- Full refund money-back guarantee.
- Natural skin hydration, firming and anti-cellulite due to jojoba oil.
- Aromatherapy recommended massage therapy.
Next on the list of best massage oil is the one from Maple Holistica, a product known for its purity and gives a 100% assurance of healing and revitalizing properties.
It is paraben-free, silicone-free, sulphate-free, and animal cruelty-free. It is hypoallergenic and eco-friendly. It is made from a combination of coconut, sweet almond, and jojoba oils, a blend that relaxes and revitalizes the body, mind, and spirit.
The product is rich in Vitamin E and a combination of other skin health-boosting compounds known for increasing skin elasticity and promoting soft and supple skin. This oil is specially designed to:
- Uplifts and re-energizes with a renewing topical massage and a next-level delicious tropical flavor turning your couples massage into a delicious treat.
- Releases tension from the muscles in the back and the rest of the body following a hypoallergenic formula.
- Promotes skin radiance by eradicating scars, cellulite and stretch marks.
- Glides easily and seamlessly, non-greasy and non-staining due to a natural oil blend designed to absorb easily.
- Promotes collagen production to maintain healthy skin elasticity.
- Hydrates, protects and nourishes the skin due to its Vitamin E content.
This massage oil is built with over 96% naturally sourced ingredients brimming with essential vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants and fatty acids.
- It is a non-sticky, non-greasy massage oil.
- It has a hypoallergenic function.
- It is sweet-smelling massage oil.
- It has a rapid, suitable absorption rate.
- It has a non-sheet staining function.
- It has skincare benefits.
- The company provides good customer service.
- The taste is bland.
- The smell is strong and it lingers.
7. New York Biology’s Deep Tissue Massage Oil
- Silky, lightweight, aromatic oil.
- 100% pure natural ylang-ylang and ginger massage oil.
- Premium spa-quality for a professional massage.
- Bottled in the USA in an FDA approved facility.
This is yet another best massage oil to use. It contains ylang-ylang and ginger oil, making it wonderful for pain relief and sore muscles. It is non-greasy and lightweight. It helps soothe, calm, and hydrate the skin.
This massage blend is a cruelty-free, preservative-free, paraben-free, and sulphate-free formulation. The oil is made from 100% natural high-quality ingredients that are great for aromatherapy or sensual massages. This oil blend is perfect for deep tissue massages, relaxing, soothing tired skin, reducing tension and stress.
- It has a neat exothermic function.
- It is a non-staining oil.
- It supplies efficient pain and soreness reliever.
- Sweet-smelling aroma.
- The package arrives with three options bottle caps; a “click open” cap, a pump-action cap and a regular twist-action cap.
- It has a moisturizing non-sticky feel.
- It has a strong smell.
8. Nooky Lube’s
Contains: Orange Blossom oil, Jojoba oil
- It hydrates and rejuvenates after a long massage.
- It easily absorbs without leaving a greasy residue.
- Sweet aromatic aromatherapy fragrance.
- Discreet, beautiful design 16oz bottle.
- 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee.
Nooky is a company that has over 20 years of credibility on their side, which means 20+ years of adherence to strict industry standards in a state of the art FDA facility.
This oil has the following capabilities:
- Making the skin soft without leaving greasy residues.
- It’s light scent and infusion with aromatic aromatherapy fragrances.
- Absorbs quickly into the skin and keeps you relaxed as well as hydrated.
- Natural ingredients that are hypoallergenic and suitable for all skin types.
- The long-lasting effect of oil on the skin during and after a massage.
Test on a small patch of skin before use and discontinue usage if any adverse reactions prop up. They also want to remind users that the product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Non-greasy, non-sticky, and non-staining.
- Sweet orange blossom scent.
- Just a little of the oil goes a long way.
- The oil is moisturizing and makes the skin supple and soft.
- It has nice exothermic quality.
- It has a strong smell.
9. Handcraft Blends’ Soothing Massage Oil
Contains: Grapeseed oil
- 100% natural grapeseed oil.
- It gently is lodged debris from deep within the skin pores and follicles.
- Enriched with Vitamin A, E and K.
- It serves as a great choice for a carrier oil.
- The oil is imported from Chile and bottled in an FDA approved facility.
Grapeseed oil is well-known for nourishing the hair, protecting the skin from UV rays, clearing skin infections, spots, and diseases like eczema & dermatitis. Its emollient properties (softener and lubrication) make it a major component of cosmetic products like creams, lip balm, and lotions.
The powerful antioxidant properties of the oil reduce the effects of ageing by preventing the course of action of free radicals, leaving the skin with a younger, healthier glow. It protects the skin against UV rays and has astringent properties that tighten the skin.
The linoleic acid in it soothes and repairs damaged skin cells. This, in turn, benefits a variety of skin problems like eczema, acne, and dermatitis. The vitamin E component abundant in grapeseed oil helps the skin stay smooth, firm, and soft. This oil is alcohol-free, hexane-free, paraben-free, sulphate-free, and animal cruelty-free.
- The package contains a pump, snapback and dispensing caps.
- It has an excellent absorption rate.
- It moisturizes and improves overall skin health.
- The oil is packaged in an amber bottle to prevent the altering of its components due to light exposure.
- High tendencies of allergic reactions. So, test before use.
10. Gya Labs’ Massage Oil For Sore Muscles
- It is made from natural organic products.
- Expertly crafted with a blend of peppermint, eucalyptus, cinnamon bark and lemongrass oils.
- Easy absorption rate into the body.
- Provides muscle and tension relief for improved quality of sleep.
- It nourishes and deeply hydrates the skin.
Gya labs soothing massage oil is a blend of fine oils like eucalyptus, peppermint, cinnamon bark, and lemongrass oils. It soothes tense muscles and sore joints. This oil is suitable for all skin types, absorbs well and grease and stain free.
The benefits of the oil include:
- Naturally relieves pain.
- Improves the quality of sleep.
- Soothes sore muscles.
- It possesses a sweet-smelling fragrance.
- The relaxing qualities are just as proclaimed.
- It is a great choice for skincare.
- No known drawbacks.
What is a Massage Oil?
Massage oils are usually unscented or scented oils used to reduce friction (rough, painful gliding of hands on the skin) during a massage. They serve as lubrication to ease a smooth gliding of hands-on skin.
Massage oils are usually a mixture of both essential oils and carrier oils. The oil blend works on smoothing out muscles knots and be sensual in nature. While some might prefer their massage oils unscented, the scented massage oils permeate the atmosphere with their aroma and as they are taken in, their improve relaxation, reduce mental stress and rejuvenate the body.
Properties Of Massage Oil
Considering that massage oils are to be rubbed along and into the skin, there are a number of factors that could make things run smoothly.
Massage oils should be a perfect ratio of thick to thin. It should at least stand in the exact middle as not too thick and not too thin.
This a direct function of the thickness of an oil. If a massage oil is too thick, it does not readily spread and can make the massage process very messy and sticky.
3. Absorbance Rate
This property is quite dependent on the thickness of an oil. If an oil is too thick, the body cannot quickly absorb it. Plus, it could also pose a threat by clogging the skin pores. If it is too thin, the oil is absorbed too fast which does nothing for reducing friction like a massage oil should because the skin then dries out too quickly.
Friction is, in fact, increased because the hands then start to skid and screech noisily on the skin. Proper massage oils should not be one that are absorbed at a fast rate but rather make do in average time.
4. The Smell
Ordinarily, there are a number of ways the body reacts to smells, from mild appreciation (depicted by sweet smiles and an uplifted spirit) to strong irritation (depicted by violent, tear-jerking sneezes and headaches). In essence, the smell of a massage oil should not be overpowering.
Some essential oils, while very effective in some aspects, can be quite discouraging once a whiff of its scent is caught. A massage oil, at the very least, should have a pleasant smell. If for some unavoidable reason, an essential oil with an undesirable quality is needed, it should be diluted in sweet-smelling carrier oils that compliment the oil and dampen its offensive smell.
A massage oil should be one that readily retains moisture in the skin and also rectifies preexisting moisture-related inadequacies.
10 Benefits of Using Massage Oils
As expected, any product to be used in close proximity to the skin should have a considerable number of beneficial properties.
1. Improves blood circulation
The friction produced on the surface of the skin during massage heats up the skin and targets blood vessels. This improves the flow of blood, circulation of nutrients in the body, elimination of toxins, and proper function of organs.
2. Increases flexibility
Continued kneading of the body with the aid of massage oils at a particular pressure and speed conditions the muscles by toning them, stretching them, and improving their functions.
3. Antidepressant & Mood-lifting
The body is a giant network of pressure points (30 of them that connect from the soles of the feet and the palm linked to different organs) and reflex centers (7 of them connected to the glands of the head, pancreas, neck, reproductive organ, liver and kidney). When these points and centers are stimulated, they calm the mind, relieve stress and restrict depression.
4. Soothes aches
Due to the repeated movement action of the hands across the muscles, massage oil helps to relieve pain across the body by sinking into the skin to repair muscle scarring, pulls, inflammation, strain and so on.
5. Removes stretch marks & scars
Scars are regarded as “hideous” or “off-putting.” Massage oils are a closet of essential oil rich in healing properties that eradicate scars as well as stretch marks.
6. Relaxing effect
Massage oils create a sense of calmness by relieving emotional as well as physical points of tension in the body. They easily pass through the olfactory nerves. Different smells are associated with different mood elevation. Find the oils that best suit your mood of interest.
7. Improves eyesight
The eye is one of the most sensitive organs in the body. A lot of feelings are associated with eyesight. In fact, the eye is one of the organs apart from the heart that works almost constantly so it is no surprise that the eye could tire out easily and possibly stop working due to system overload or stress.
On the bright side, areas around the skull close to the eyes can be massaged with massage oils to provide relief.
8. Treats cold and sinus
Essential oil-based massage oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, or citrus are effective for fighting sinus infections due to the presence of antioxidants.
9. Maintains healthy skin
Oily skin, pimples, stress breakouts, and puffy swollen eyes are means through which your face communicates distress. Massage oils have anti-inflammatory, healing, antioxidant, moisturizing, hydration, free radicals handicap properties that promote the health of the skin, reduces the effects of ageing etc.
10. Aids deep tissue cleansing
When oil is forced onto the skin through massage, the oil scrapes away dead skin layers, unclogs oil buildup, brightens the skin making them soft and supple.
How Do Massage Oils Work?
Massage oils are mostly a mix of essential oils and carrier oils. Essential oils are natural compounds rich in antioxidants and quite a number of other chemical compounds that soothe aches, promote healthy skin and so on.
Relating this to baking, specifically, massage is equivalent to kneading the dough for bread. Initially, it’s just a lump of flour, milk, yeast, salt, sugar, butter and any other additive of choice.
The ingredients are barely held together, but the continued kneading action of the dough creates a smooth texture that at the end of the day looks almost nothing like the initial startup ingredients. The dough is compliant, flexible, soft, supple, smooth and with a little heat, delicious at the end of the exercise.
Now, in place of the dough, let the picture be a body, possibly rigid and less inclined to be compliant. Add a little quantity of massage oil as required and gently start kneading until a “form” is obtained.
The massage oil penetrates deep through the various layers of the skin to the “problem areas”. The mechanism is similar to how drugs work. It will immediately attack the source of tension and fix it.
The inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial, hydrating, moisturizing, healing, antidepressants properties of these oils soak into the numerous layers of the skin and attack the root of problems and provide effective relief.
How To Choose A Massage Oil?
There are a few things to consider when choosing buying essential oils:
- Needs & Budget: This is a tricky one. It is easy to get carried away by the allure of natural products and buy what you don’t need. A fail-safe plan is to do research beforehand and go with your mindset on a budget to keep you within the guard rails of expenditure. Know the pros and cons of each oil, the allergy tendencies, their smells etc.
- Carrier oils: Consider other oils, especially carrier oils that compliment or balance out the essential oil of interest. In truth, essential oils can be quite dangerous and it takes a good carrier oil to smooth out the rough edges on the oil. Understanding the difference between carrier oils and essential oils help you choose better from among a wide array of choices.
- Purity: the purity of an oil is very important. The wrong additives, whether in the form of preservatives or fragrances, can completely or slightly alter the chemical composition. Hence, the intended use of oil – whether the alteration is slight or huge – it is important to know these details as they could be the difference between life and death.
- Sometimes, there is safety in numbers: The most popular essential oil is usually the best choice for trying out essential oils. There is no need to go over the top or search for “exclusive oils” that could be the danger zone. Some popular essential massage oils are tea tree, ylang-ylang, lavender, and eucalyptus oil.
- Customer reviews: Check out previous customer reviews before purchasing a product. Check for smell complaints, allergy complaints, stain complaints depending on the body’s inclination and choice as a person.
Oil Massage Techniques
The technique of massage can be simple but intricate.
- Heat up the oil to a mild temperature.
- Using the fingers, spread the oil on the body without massaging yet.
- Allow the oil to sit on the skin for some time then start to massage the body using the fingers.
- For the head and joints, the frontal part of the legs, back, abdomen and chest use circular massage movements.
- Use gentle pressure for areas like the chest cavity right above the heart and the stomach.
- Spend more time kneading and oiling areas of concentration of pressure points and reflex centers like the palms and sole of the foot.
- After massaging the whole body, relax for about 10-15 minutes then run a warm bath to cleanse the body of the oil.
10 Different Types of Massages
Since ancient times, man has been required to work and engage in other tedious physical exercises that produce lots of pains at the end of the day. Massage is not a new concept which is also why today there are numerous types of massage methods:
- Acupressure massage: here, lavender essential oil is used with a suitable carrier oil to target and massage acupressure points. This technique is especially to stimulate pressure points and emotional health.
- Anma massage: this is a Japanese massage technique that does not require the use of any oil as a lubricant. The massage rides “bareback”. This is a vigorous massage executed through kneading tapping.
- Balinese massage: this is a compilation of exotic massage techniques that involve Cendat, Sampaka and Jasmine essential oils in carrier oils. This technique is carried out majorly for mental and muscle relaxation.
- Barefoot deep tissue massage: this technique also does not require the use of any oil so as to improve traction during the massage.
- Breema massage: this is a gentle massage carried out with rhythmic movement that does not require the use of any oil.
- Champissage massage: this is a massage focused on the neck and head region to drive out stress using jasmine and coconut oils.
- Chua K’a massage: this technique is a little tricky because amazingly, it does not require the use of oil but rather the ” fragrance” of myrrh essential oil.
- Craniosacral therapy massage: this is a delicate massage that should be carried out only by experts due to the sensitivity of the brain since this technique is one that is done to relieve stress to the brain by massaging with pressure, the cranium.
- Hilot massage: is used to relieve stress just like the deep tissue massage. The recommended oil her is coconut.
- Infant massage: this is another scary massage technique that could go seriously wrong if care is not taken because infants are quite “malleable” and soft. This technique is believed to strengthen the baby’s muscles and its connective tissues.
A couple of other massage techniques are Kim Nye Massage, Lomi Lomi massage, Metamorphic massage, Myofascial release massage, Reflexology massage, Stone massage, Swedish massage, and Thai massage.
Who Shouldn’t Use Massage Oils?
Massage oils can be quite tempting to indulge in especially when it is all everybody keeps talking about. However, don’t just “jump right in”. Find out whether you can use it or not.
- People with a history of heart diseases and cardiovascular disorders should steer clear because of the high-fat levels of massage oils.
- People undergoing dialysis.
- People with cancer because their bodies are fragile and the pressure of the massage could destroy the tissues around the cancer cells.
- People with bleeding disorders due to the anticoagulant property of these oils.
It is of notable credit to discover the small things of life that improve the quality of life and indulge in it. So, which massage oil have you picked or have been using lately? Please share with us and other readers in the comments section.