10 Essential Oils For Hangover That Truly Work
Hangovers are highly unpleasant and at times, painful consequences of drinking excess alcohol. However, there are some incredible essential oils for hangovers that help ease the symptoms fast. Not many know that.
By definition, a hangover is a group of symptoms and signs associated with heavy drinking. An individual suffering from a hangover will experience headaches, confusion, dizziness, sleepiness, exhaustion, thirsty, and sick feelings. (1, 2)
A hangover can happen at any time of the day but are typically more common during mornings – directly after the night of excess drinking.
Symptoms: The hangover symptoms usually begin to occur when a person’s blood-alcohol concentration drops considerably.
The symptoms include bloodshot eyes, dizziness, headache, anxiety, tiredness, flatulence, nausea, photophobia, lack of concentration, stomach pain, vomiting, thirst, irritability, mood swings, and trembling.
Though a lot of people might advice you to take adequate rest and keep hydrating, rarely they know that essential oils also come in handy for situations like this.
Besides being used in aromatherapy, essential oils are highly effective in curing hangovers. They can alleviate the pain and further, speed up your recovery process.
They act as antidotes and anti-inflammatory agents for nausea and other symptoms that come after excessive drinking.
10 Essential Oils For Hangover Cure
- Peppermint oil
- Black Pepper oil
- Lemon oil
- Grapefruit oil
- Juniper oil
- Lavender oil
- Fennel oil
- Marjoram oil
- Ginger oil
- Spearmint oil
Let’s learn about each essential oil in detail and how it helps in getting rid of a hangover.
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil (Mentha x piperita) is one of the best essential oils for hangovers. Be it severe headaches, intense nausea, or vomiting, this oil comes in handy.
In fact, it has been a great remedy for migraines. The reason it is effective for hangover symptoms is due to the presence of menthol in it, which acts in two ways: relaxes the muscles and relieves pain. (3, 4)
- Drop 2 – 3 drops of peppermint oil to a piece of cotton. Rub the cotton piece on your temples and forehead. When you inhale its smell, it relieves hangover headaches, uplifts your mood, and suppresses the vomiting sensation.
- You can even diffuse a few drops of peppermint oil with 2 drops of eucalyptus oil or orange oil using a diffuser. The idea is to inhale its fragrance to help relax your senses.
2. Black Pepper Oil
Black pepper oil (Piper nigrum) is one of the commonly known used spices in various cuisines, but ever heard of black pepper oil? If no, then here is something interesting for you to read.
When applied topically, it eases IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), stomachache, indigestion, cramping, and bloating. This is mainly due to the presence of an important compound called piperine. It exhibits antispasmodic and antidiarrheal activities.
- Mix 3-4 drops of black pepper oil with 1 teaspoon of castor oil. Apply on the stomach and abdomen. Massage gently to relieve the symptoms of hangover.
- You can even diffuse 2-3 drops of black pepper oil in a diffuser. Even inhaling its aroma has a similar effect.
3. Lemon Oil
When it comes to nausea, vomiting, or morning sickness, lemon essential oil is one of the highly recommended oils.
Nausea is one of the common symptoms people tend to experience after heavy drinking. Since it causes considerable discomfort, lemon oil is one of the best ways to treat it.
Also, research has demonstrated lemon oil as an effective natural anti-depressant. Just sniffing it a little can secrete “happy” hormones in the body and can make you feel better instantly.
In fact, it helped in increasing the levels of serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine.
- Diffuse a few drops of lemon oil in a diffuser. You can even add 2 drops of peppermint oil as well. Inhaling its aroma has an incredible effect.
- You can even add a drop or two of lemon oil to a cotton ball and rub it slightly to your temples and forehead. This also lifts your mood and makes you feel more relaxed.
4. Grapefruit Oil
Grapefruit oil (Citrus × paradisi) is well admired for its multiple health benefits. From losing weight to giving out a radiant glow, this oil has been in the limelight for a long time now.
However, not many of them know that it does a great deed in easing the hangover symptoms.
The key chemical compounds in grapefruit oil include a-pinene, myrcene, sabinene, geraniol, limonene, terpinen-4-ol, citronellal, linalool, neryl acetate, and decyl acetate. (10)
Its stimulant properties relax your mood and encourage good mood. Moreover, it helps in relieving migraine headaches, especially if it is due to stress.
- Diffuse 3-4 drops of grapefruit oil and 2 drops of peppermint oil in a diffuser. Inhale the aromas to help get rid of hangover.
- You can even add 1-2 drops (not more than this) of grapefruit oil to a glass of warm water. Drink this to cure an upset stomach.
5. Juniper Oil
Juniper oil (Juniperus communis) is another effective remedy for hangover cure. Its calming and fresh aroma is well known to relieve anxiety and stress.
It exhibits anti-rheumatic, carminative, astringent, antiseptic, depurative, and vulnerary properties. (11)
The key compounds of this essential oil include a-pinene, camphene, b-pinene, y-terpinene, sabinene, myrcene, a-phellandrene, 1,4-cineole, a-terpinene, terpinen-4-ol, b-phellandrene, cayophyllene, bornyl acetate, and p-cymene.
- Add 2-3 drops of juniper oil to a clean cotton. Rub the cotton on your temples or forehead lightly to help you inhale its aroma for a while. This, in turn, will ease your hangover headaches and vomiting sensation.
- You can also diffuse a few drops of juniper oil with 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil to help you relax from the discomfort.
6. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil (Lavandula angustifolia) not only features an incredible history but also is well admired for its and curative properties.
It helps in inducing relaxation and alleviating stress as well as tension. It works as an antidepressant, sedative, anxiolytic, anti-anxiety, calming, and anticonvulsant agent.
In fact, research has shown that it works better than a placebo in treating migraines.
When applied topically, lavender oil affects your limbic system, and this is due to its primary constituents – linalyl acetate and linalool.
Once applied, your skin quickly absorbs the oil and triggers the central nervous system. For this reason, lavender essential oil is highly effective in treating headaches, irritability, anxiety, and other mood-related problems. (12, 13)
- Diffuse a few drops of lavender oil using a diffuser and inhale its aroma for a while to relieve the hangover symptoms. Further, it also induces good sleep.
- You can even use the “vapor method” to inhale its scents. To do this, you can add a few drops of lavender oil to a vessel containing hot water. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the vapors coming from it.
- You can also apply a little lavender oil directly to your forehead or temples for faster relief.
7. Fennel Oil
Fennel oil (Foeniculum vulgare) is well admired for its fat-fighting capabilities. But little did you know that it also assists in relieving the after-effects of hangover.
It acts as an antispasmodic – meaning, it helps your digestive tract to repress nausea. Also, it is a diuretic and thus, reduces water retention. In simple words, it is good for your gut.
The main compounds of fennel oil include fenchone, anethole, a-pinene, ß-pinene, estragole, a-phellandrene, ß-phellandrene, myrcene, a-Terpineol, para-Cymol, and campfer.
The reason it is highly effective in the treatment of hangover is due to its carminative properties. When applied topically on the abdomen, it eases stomachache and indigestion.
Also, when inhaled, it stimulates not only the digestive, excretory, and nervous system but also the exocrine and endocrine glands. Its medicinal properties help relieve fatigue, dizziness, lethargy, and exhaustion that comes after heavy drinking. (14)
- For an upset stomach, indigestion, or diarrhea, add 2 drops (not more) of fennel oil to a glass of warm water. Slowly sip this herbal drink to alleviate the problem.
- You can also diffuse a few drops of it to inhale its aroma.
- Mix 4-5 drops of fennel oil with 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in a bowl. Apply this mixture to your abdomen and massage gently. This also alleviates stomach problems.
8. Marjoram Oil
Marjoram oil (Origanum majorana) is a yellowish-green essential oil with a spicy, warm, camphoraceous, and woody scents. Its fragrance might remind you of cardamom and nutmeg. However, it is different. (15)
It is packed with therapeutic benefits and helps in alleviating different health issues like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, muscle tensions, IBS, fatigue, etc.
Besides these, its calming properties help combat stress, anxiety, insomnia, hyperactivity, and mood.
The primary chemical components of marjoram oil include a-terpinene, cis-sabinene hydrate, sabinene, a-terpineol, p-cymene, thymol, y-terpinene, linalool, carvacrol, linalyl acetate, eugenol, terpinolene, and terpinen-4-ol.
- To alleviate an upset stomach, mix 1-2 drops of marjoram oil with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Apply this mixture to your abdomen and massage gently.
9. Ginger Oil
Ginger (Zingiber officinale) has a valued possession for ages for its culinary and medicinal properties. Similarly, it holds a special place in aromatherapy.
Ginger oil is extracted from the ginger roots and features a pungent, energizing, and yet spicy smell.
When applied topically, its healing properties help relieve pain and aches by promoting proper blood flow. This is attributed to its digestive, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, expectorant, analgesic, stimulating, and carminative properties.
The primary compounds of ginger oil include neral, 1,8-cineole, geranial, B-bisabolene, B-sesquiphellandrene, and zingiberene.
- Diffuse a few drops of ginger oil in a diffuser to inhale its fragrance. This, in turn, acts on your senses and eases the hangover symptoms in some time.
- You can even add 1-2 drops (not more) of ginger oil to a glass of warm water. Sip this herbal drink slowly to help ease an upset stomach.
- You can also combine 3-4 drops of ginger oil with any carrier oil and use it to massage your stomach to relieve the symptoms.
10. Spearmint Oil
Spearmint oil (Mentha spicata) is another great essential oil for hangover. It is a great alternative to peppermint oil.
If you feel that peppermint oil is too strong, then you can settle for a milder oil like spearmint. It has an exclusive aroma and is one of the commonly used oils in the culinary world.
Besides being used to flavor and garnish different dishes, it has rejuvenating properties to cleanse the body both mentally and emotionally.
The reason it is highly effective in the treatment of hangovers is due to the presence of menthol content in it, which eases headaches, nervousness, fatigue, digestive issues, and migraines. (16)
- To help ease an upset stomach, dilute 3-4 drops of spearmint oil with 2 teaspoons of sesame oil. Apply this mixture to your stomach and massage gently.
- Diffuse a few drops of spearmint oil with 2 drops of lemon oil to help combat fatigue.